Commercial Rates are a form of local property tax, levied by local authorities on commercial/industrial properties, advertising stations and non-domestic premises. The income generated from commercial rates provides funding for a range of services delivered by South Dublin County Council which includes
- Public lighting, footpath repair and maintenance,
- Car parking, traffic management
- Housing Services, parks, sports facilities and playgrounds
- Drains, river basin management and flood alleviation, litter management, enforcement of
- Waste regulations and the fire service
- Planning service, libraries, community and arts facilities and Local Government representation
- Citizen Engagement which includes a participatory budget
- Business Support Grants
- Tourism and Community Development
The cost of providing such services and operations for citizens and businesses in South Dublin County will be €338 million in 2024.
Rates are payable on vacant properties. However, in circumstances where vacancy is due to inability to obtain a tenant or property is undergoing refurbishment, vacancy credits may be applied to qualifying properties at the following rates which were approved by the Council’s Elected Members as part of the annual budgetary process.
Pre 2018 100%
2019 – 2023 50%
Application forms for vacancy credit can be found at www.sdcc.ie/en/services/business/commercial-rates/ or by emailing email@example.com
Changes in owner/occupier of Rateable Property
All changes in occupancy of rated properties must be notified to the Council within 2 weeks of the change occurring and pro rata liability will be calculated. Failure to notify the Council of changes within the 2 week timeframe could lead to prosecution and or fines. “Change of Occupancy of Rateable Property” form for completion and submission to the Council can be found at www.sdcc.ie/en/services/business/commercial-rates/ or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment of Commercial Rates
Commercial rates may be paid by the following methods
- Online payment on www.mycoco.ie .
- Monthly Direct Debit
- Banking transfer using giro form attached to bill
- Electronic bank transferto
Account Name: South Dublin County Council Rates Account
Bank Name & Address: Allied Irish Banks, Tallaght, Dublin 24
Bank Account Number: 31001-779
IBAN:IE03 AIBK 9333 1731 0017 79
Please reference your rate account number and customer ID in the EFT to ensure prompt allocation of payment to your account.
- In person at Council’s Payments Office in Tallaght or Clondalkin or by phone on 01 4149121 using debit /credit card.
- By post - cheques and money orders payable to South Dublin County Council and forwarded to Rates Office, South Dublin County Council, County Hall, Tallaght, Dublin 24 .
- Payment plan – by agreed arrangement with Debt Collection Unit. Please contact email@example.com or by phone on 01 4149336 for further information
Assessment of Rates
Commercial rates are calculated as a multiplier of the Rateable Valuation of the property and the “Annual Rate of Valuation” (ARV) which is determined by the elected members of the Council at the Annual Budget Meeting. The ARV for South Dublin 2024 is 0.276.
The Rateable Valuation of the property is determined by Commissioner for Valuation at Tailte Eireann. Amendments to valuations notified by Commissioner for Valuation since 1/1/24 will be effective immediately . South Dublin County Council cannot amend the valuation on a property as determined by Commissioner for Valuation.
All valuation enquiries should be made directly to
Tailte Éireann - Valuation Block 2, Irish life Centre, Abbey Street Lower, Dublin 1 D01E9X0
Tel: +353 1 817 1000 Email firstname.lastname@example.org. LoCall:1800 304 444
All queries on rates billing and liability can be made to email@example.com or by phone on 01 4149099. Customer number and rates account number should be quoted in all correspondence.