Airton Road Extension
The Airton Rd Ext. project involves extending the Airton Rd westward through the junction at the entrance to the Belgard Retail Park, where it currently terminates. The new link will join Fourth Ave and Cookstown Rd in a new junction lay out.
This road extension will create greater connectivity for Tallaght Hospital, Technology University Dublin (TUD), a post primary school, an innovation centre, and a residential community. It also fulfils an objective of South Dublin County Council County Development Plan which promotes and supports the regeneration of underutilised industrial areas within areas designated with Zoning Objective Regeneration ‘REGEN’ (to facilitate enterprise and/or residential led regeneration).
The new road will consist of:
- The construction of approximately 328 m. of a two-way single carriageway road connecting Cookstown Industrial Estate Road to Belgard Road. The Cross sections consists of a 6.0 metre carriageway, 2.0 metre raised adjacent off-road cycle lanes and 2.5-metre-wide footpaths.
- The construction of three signal-controlled junctions, Junction of Cookstown Ind. Estate Road with Airton Road Extension, Junction of Airton Road Extension with the entrance into Belgard Retail Park and the Junction of Airton Road Extension and Belgard Road.
- The construction of associated drainage and culverts.
- The construction of boundary walls, fencing and access treatment.
- Associated earthworks and appropriate landscape works.
A public consultation was held as part of Part 8 Planning process between 13th Jan 2022 and 24th Feb 2022.
Part 8 planning was approved at the March 2022 Council meeting