South Dublin County Council came into existence on the 1st January 1994 and operates in an area of 222.74 square kilometres. South Dublin has a population of 301,075 people living in 100,364 homes according to the 2022 census, an 8% population increase from the previous census in 2016.
The average age for the county is 37.2 years, lower than the average for Leinster (37.6) , Dublin City (38.6) and the State (38.8) while the home ownership rate is 66.5%.
The heraldic crest for South Dublin reads "This We Hold In Trust" in both English and Irish, while incorporating elements relating to the history, geography and present day infrastructure of the area. It is bounded by Dublin city (15 km to the north east), the Dublin Mountains and County Wicklow to the south, the River Liffey to the north separating it from Fingal and County Kildare to the west.
Map of the South Dublin County Council administrative area.
History of South Dublin
Historical Maps of the area
In 2019, the Council signed the Declaration on Public Service Innovation. The Declaration states that,
In order to serve our people better, the Irish Public Service needs to be highly innovative. Innovation does more than simply drive economic growth. It has the potential to solve some of the most pressing challenges that Ireland faces now and in the future. Our organisations commit to taking the following actions to build a culture of innovation in our Public Service. We will:
- Further endorse innovation as a responsibility of every public servant;
- Enable, support, inform and equip our public servants to innovate in their roles;
- Cultivate new partnerships and involve diverse views in problem-solving and designing and delivering our public services;
- Generate multiple options for existing and potential problems through exploration, experimentation, iteration and testing;
- Provide insights into our experiences, best practices and lessons learned with other public servants in Ireland and abroad;
- Share knowledge and data with citizens in an open and transparent way
You can read more about the Declaration on Public Service at the Our Public Service 2020 website.