Transfer to another Council dwelling
If you are a Tenant of the Council and need to move from your current home you can apply for a transfer to alternative accommodation with South Dublin County Council. You must complete the Transfer application form and submit with necessary support documents. Transfers are facilitated in accordance with the Council’s Allocation Scheme. Eligible applicants are placed on the Council’s Transfer List.
The Council also facilitates Mutual Transfers where two tenants apply to swap dwellings. This tends to be a quicker process than being placed on the Transfer List. See How can I apply for a Mutual Transfer?

Am I eligible to apply for a transfer?
To be eligible for the transfer list, an application will only be accepted on the basis of the below criteria:-

  1. Exceptional medical/compassionate grounds (Regard to be had for report from Council's Medical Advisors/Housing Welfare Officers as appropriate)
  2. On grounds of anti-social behaviour where a Garda Superintendent has stated that there is a risk to personal safety
  3. Older Persons (aged 65 or over) downsizing accommodation
  4. Tenants downsizing to the specific unit size of accommodation that matches their need
  5. Overcrowding
  6. Tenants other than those in categories (3) and (4) above downsizing accommodation to make better use of housing stock.
  7. To facilitate incremental purchase, where the authority has consented to such a purchase.

In addition to the above criteria, tenants seeking a transfer must fulfil the following requirements:

  • hold the tenancy in their present dwelling, for a period of at least two years, unless it is a temporary tenancy;
  • have a clear rent account – any transfer will take account of rent arrears but allowances may be made where an agreement is in place and being adhered to by the tenant to address any such arrears over an agreed period of time;
  • have kept their dwelling in satisfactory condition, subject to inspection;
  • have complied with the conditions of their Tenancy Agreement;
  • have no record of anti-social behaviour.

Back to Top

Can I express my interest in a vacant property?
Eligible transfer applicants are placed on the Transfer List in order of date of application and progress on a ‘Time on List’ basis, i.e. the next applicant on the list is allocated the next available, suitable property.

Where am I on the Transfer list?
The transfer list is a live list and can change on a regular basis. Therefore your position on the list does not necessarily provide an accurate guide of when an offer of transfer will be made.

How can I apply for a Mutual Transfer?
A mutual transfer can be arranged between South Dublin tenants or tenants of another Local Authority or Voluntary Body as long as both Authorities are agreeable

Criteria for both parties as follows:

  • Clear rent accounts. 
  • Compliance with the terms of the tenancy during existing tenancy.
  • Acceptance of both parties to occupy dwellings in existing condition, an inspection will be carried out by SDCC staff.
  • The accommodation involved must suit the needs of both sets of applicants i.e. if one tenant has a boy and a girl or 3 children then they must be transferring into a 3 bed unit.

Tenant’s find a suitable swap themselves. Both Tenants complete the Mutual Transfer application form and submit it to the Council for approval.

South Dublin County Council maintains a register of tenants who are interested in a mutual transfer. If you want to be included on the mutual transfer register please complete the relevant section on the Transfer application form.

Tenants must not transfer without prior approval from the Council.

Please note: After a Mutual Transfer there will be no general maintenance or repairs carried out on either property for 2 years.

Back to Top

How do I change the names on the tenancy - Transfer of Tenancy?
A transfer of tenancy is the process whereby a name is either removed from, added to or changed on a tenancy. This can occur as result of a number of difference scenarios such as a marriage, death or legal separation. For a transfer of tenancy application to proceed, the relevant application form must be completed and submitted along with the relevant documents to the Allocation section. Please note the applicant must have a clear rent account. Estate management checks e.g. Garda check and Tenancy review will be carried out where applicable. The transfer of tenancy application forms are below in Related Documents.

How long does a partner/spouse need to be on the rent before they can apply to be included on the tenancy?
Persons wishing to be included on a Tenancy must have been included on the Rent Account for two consecutive years prior to the application.