Cycling and Walking Schemes
Scholarstown Road Improvement Works (Noted Rathfarnham/Templeogue Terenue Area Committee 12th Sept 2017)
The National Transport Authority in conjunction with South Dublin County Council have commissioned Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates to provide engineering consultancy services for the design of the Scholarstown Road Improvement Scheme.
The scheme extends from the approaches to the Orlagh Grove Roundabout (just east of Junction 12 of the M50) to the recently upgraded Knocklyon Road junction (beside Knocklyon Shopping Centre). Forming the Feeder link between Route SO5 and Route SO6 as identified in the NTA’s Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan. Thereby this investment continues to ensure that cycling as a transport mode is supported, enhanced and encouraged throughout the County. These measures will improve the quality of lives for its users by focusing on improved pedestrian, cyclist and vulnerable road user facilities and improved facilities for public transport users.
The scheme also aims to improve the public realm by providing upgraded footpaths, shared pedestrian & cycle space, improved drainage measures, additional landscaping, improved signage and new signalized crossing locations on the approaches to the Orlagh Grove roundabout. Providing improvements along the length of Scholarstown Road that is heavily used by school pupils attributed to several primary and secondary schools located in the vicinity of the proposed scheme.
Summary of the Works
- The provision of almost 0.5km of off road shared cycle and pedestrian space from the Knocklyon Road junction to and around the Orlagh Grove roundabout.
- Improved crossing facilities at the entrances to Beverly Drive and the Rookery housing estates.
- Improved crossing facilities on all four arms of the Orlagh Grove roundabout.
- Upgraded public lighting using efficient LED lighting.
- Bus stop improvements with Real Time Passenger Information (RPTI) and improved set-down facilities.
- Removal of numerous existing ESB and Eir overhead cable that span throughout the scheme.
- Additional landscaping works throughout the scheme
- Provision of new and improved drainage
- Provision of new public lighting, road markings and cycle route signage