South Dublin County Council, in partnership with Codema, Dublin’s energy agency, offer Home Energy Saving Kits to help householders understand their energy use, including where energy is lost or wasted at home.
Whether you own or rent accommodation, the kit helps you to identify some of the most important potential energy use improvements.
The kit contains a:
- Temperature and Humidity Monitor: The monitor measures both temperature and humidity levels in any room of your house. For living areas, aim for a temperature of 18°C - 20°C. For all other rooms aim for 15-18°C. Ideal humidity is 40-60%. If your humidity is too high, it means there is too much moisture which will lead to mould formation.
- Thermal Leak Detector: The detector will show where you are losing heat in your home, helping you to identify where you need insulation and draught proofing.
- Plug-in Energy Monitor: The monitor will show you any appliances’ energy use as you use them, or when they are in standby mode. This real time information can help you to understand what is driving up your energy bills.
- Fridge Thermometer: The thermometer shows you if your fridge or freezer is too cold or too warm. If too cold, it means your fridge is using more energy than needed. The fridge should be 3 to 5 degrees, the freezer -15 to -18 degrees.
- Radiator Key: The key can be used to bleed radiators to ensure they use the least amount of energy possible when heating up, helping to reduce your bills.
Currently there are 19 kits available across the 8 South Dublin libraries listed below:
- Clondalkin (Village)
- Mobile Library
- North Clondalkin
- Palmerstown Hub
The kits were rented 57 times in quarter 4 of 2022.
If you are interested in renting a kit please contact your local library below.
You can watch this video to understand how the kit works.
And for more on Saving Energy at Home, visit our dedicated section.
Ballyroan Library: +353 1 4941900 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Castletymon Library: +353 1 4149203 / email@example.com
Clondalkin (Village): +353 1 4593315 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucan Library: +353 1 6216422 / email@example.com
North Clondalkin: +353 1 4149269 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Tallaght Library: +353 1 4620073 / email@example.com
Palmerstown Hub: +353 1 467 8909 / firstname.lastname@example.org